Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Introspective on Being Self Critical

My friend Kim sent me a picture of a painting today. I said "oh, that is pretty, who painted it"? Kim texted me and said "you ARE kidding right"? and I said "who Monet"? and she said "no, YOU painted it". Kim had taken a corner of my painting and made a picture out of it. I didn't recognize it out of context. I KNOW this makes me seem like a complete airhead but I wanted to write about it because Kim made a good point. I am VERY critical of my own art. I love painting it but I always dismiss it as not being good enough. When I thought someone else painted it, it was much prettier to me. Really, I paint from my heart and it can't be wrong because I paint what I feel.

Let's all try to look at ourselves and be thankful for the good qualities. Let's look at our lives without the judgement of self doubt.

4 comments:

gypsy-heart said...

I never think my work is good enough either..but I keep painting and I know I will continue painting as long as I am breathing.

One of my favorite professors once told me that a true artist never thinks their work is good enough.
Some of the "masters" died thinking they still didn't get it!

I said all this to say..just keep painting from your heart! Paint, paint, paint..when the spirit moves you. Every painting is part of your journey.

Good and creative energies to you!

~gypsy-heart (aka Morri)

Melissa said...

Very good point.. what a wonderful lesson!!

BTW.. as the owner of one of your beautiful works I think you're an amazing artist!! Please keep on painting from the heart..

Love you, girl!

Kymberly Janelle said...

I think that's kind of like when you see a picture of yourself in a group and you don't recognize it's you, you are always skinnier when you think you are someone else!

You ARE talented, I'm glad you got to see it for yourself! :)

Christy said...

Thank ya'll! I so appreciate your comments! Love-Christy