Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Talking to kids about strangers

hi friends- I meant to post this last week but ,as usual, I got distracted. I was on the phone with Shannon the other day and the kids were outside in the front yard playing. Emma came running in and said "mama, can I go around the block"? I said "no" but I asked why she wanted to go. She said I need to help the lady find her dog. Apparently, a woman in a car actually pulled up to them and asked them if they had seen her dog and if they could help her find it. Well, this shocked me because it was a woman. I had mostly warned the kids about men in cars asking for help. So, it was either a very irresponsible woman or she was up to something sinister. After I could breathe again (hearing the actual words from you kid is scary) , I did brag on Emma for doing the right thing and then later, I had to warn her not to talk at all to the stranger in the car. UGH... I am sharing this to let people know that although we tend to warn against men, it is best to remind them women can be dangerous too. No one in a car needs help from a child!

4 comments:

Lia said...

Shoot Christy thats REALLY awful, it happen in our little village once, a van was going round trying to entise kids into the van to make a "video" Yeah I'll bet! Any way I'm really glad that Emma had the sense to ask you before she went any where, I just wish all kids had that intuition!! And I'm soooooo glad your girls are ok! xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this Christy. I'm so glad that Emma came and talked with you first and that the girls are all ok.
love,
Tracy

Christy said...

Thanks. I am so thankful that she did the right thing. She still wasn't convinced the lady didn't need her help. She said "but she looks nice"...

Wendy Whitlow said...

While I'm quite sure this woman was really looking for her dog and found it harmless to ask for the kid's assistance...you can NEVER be TOO CAUTIOUS these days. A big Kudos to you for Emma to know to seek your permission.

I guess that's why the put the word STRANGE in stranger :)