Friday, March 14, 2008

Flowers or Weeds

My four year old is always bringing me the little purple weeds from our yard. I have them in little vases in my kitchen window. Today as we were in the car line waiting to pick up the other girls, Cara said "look at all the pretty purple flowers". I took this opportunity to try to explain to her that they are weeds. I felt a little like a party pooper so I finally said "but you think they are beautiful don't you"?. Cara said "I don't think they are weeds because they are so pretty".
This made me think. How can we tell who has flowers in there hearts and who has weeds?
I remember being about 4 years old and loving an actress on a TV show at the time. Her character on TV was so sweet and cheerful. I thought she was so pretty.
Well, she came to Nashville to something (I have no idea what) and my Mom took me to see her. She was at a table signing autographs and I was in line to get my autographed picture. When, I got closer to her, I noticed she was pretty, but she wasn't cheerful at all. She looked irritated to be wasting her time on signing autographs. When I got to the front of the line. She just shoved the picture at me and didn't look up. I was sad. I wanted her to be like her character and without the cheerfulness she wasn't very cute at all. I didn't even care about the picture after that.
I think this is the difference in being a flower or a weed. Weeds can be beautiful on the outside and still be a weed on the inside. Flowers are beautiful on the outside and caring and compassionate on the inside.
Does this make sense? This was just a reminder to me. Let's all grow flowers in our hearts instead of weeds.
PS- I will still rejoice with happiness everytime Cara brings me a weed. ha ha

11 comments:

Reed said...

Indeed. This is so true. You can easily feign outer beauty. But the intent of heart will always show truth...whetther it is beautiful or not.

Anonymous said...

Awwwww!!!! How sad to meet someone you wanted to, and then be so saddened by it!

Your theory reminds me of a story my mom tells about my twin sis and me when we were about 5. Our pastor was giving a Kids Sermon during church and told us that if a rose grew in a cornfield, it would be a weed. Sis and I got so mad at him calling a rose a weed that we were verbal with him in the middle of church. My mom tells that we stood up with hands on hips and got all teary-eyed and told him that roses are pretty and smell good.

It goes right along with what you are saying. Great insight, dear one!

**hugs** have a great weekend!!

Wendy Whitlow said...

Thanks for sharing Christy. It makes you think. It reminded me of the parable in the bible when Jesus talks about the wheat and the weeds. It's somewhere in Matthew. Anyway...I'm so thankful that in the end...God will seperate the wheat from the weeds...He will recognize His own. So even when we're confused about the true intent of many deceiving attractive weeds...I'm glad God knows the true heart of a man.

Hi Kadi!

Christy said...

Thank you Kadi, Jayleigh, and Wendy! Love,Christy

Mrs Lia said...

Thank you Christy for writing such beautiful things, I am really trying to learn from you and get rid of my bitter side, I love your writing, I hope for mine to be as good one day.

Christy said...

Thank you anon for the compliment on my writing. I love to do it but I never know how good I am at it.
You are doing great too!
Love,
Christy

Anonymous said...

Hey Christy

Your words are so kind, thank you for all your support when I wanted to start my blog.

L xx

Christy said...

Hi Lia-
I am so very proud of you and your blog!
You are very welcome!!
Love,
Christy

Anonymous said...

Loved this Christy!

A while back I had a post
"There are no weeds" and it was about some purple flowers that I love! :)
Here is the post if you find time to read it:
http://island11.wordpress.com/2007/10/14/there-are-no-weeds/

You are a good Mother Christy, and a gentle soul!

Christy said...

Thank you Gypsy!!
Love-
Christy

Anonymous said...

THIS GOES ALONG WITH THE SAYING WE HAVE ALL HEARD TIME AND TIME AGAIN......"DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER." SOME OF THE MOST ATTRACTIVE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD CAN BE THE BIGGEST "WEEDS".....AND SOME OF THE MOST UNATTRACTIVE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD CAN BE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL "FLOWERS"! HUMANS CAN BE SOOO EASILY MISLEAD AND DECIEVED.....GOD IS THE ONLY ONE WHO TRULY KNOWS WHICH ONE OF THESE THAT WE ARE! I PRAY THAT HE SEES ME AS A "FLOWER"! AND I KNOW THAT HE SEES YOU AS ONE!!! YOU ARE SO INSIGHTFUL CHRISTY! THANKS FOR SHARING!
LOVE YOU!!!!!! JENNY ;)